Mathematics is undoubtedly, one of the most focused subject areas in education today.
It is widely known that those who develop strong skills, content knowledge, and fluency in mathematics may foster greater outcomes in a workforce that is in an ever-changing, increasingly complex world.
In a report by the C.D. Howe Institute, “Early achievement in mathematics is a strong predictor - even more so than reading skills - of later academic achievement, financial success, and future career options.” [source]
In addition, the Mathematics Working Group, Ontario Ministry of Education states:
“… every student should be equipped with the mathematical knowledge, skills and habits of mind that are essential for successful and rewarding participation in society.” [source]
Yet, according to the Ontario Ministry of Education:
- Ontario's students are struggling to meet provincial math standards
- For the past five years, there has been an overall decline in Education Quality and Accountability Office (EQAO) math scores in Ontario.
The reality is, parents want to support their children but often get tangled in endless searches all while trying to comprehend the math curriculum - typically landing in one of these three areas while seeking additional support in mathematics:
- Tutoring services - costing $30-$80 each hour and can be a daunting task trying to find a qualified tutor that is in alignment with their child's learning styles/needs.
- Workbooks - a compilation of paper worksheets that may offer little variation to the modern learner.
- The Web - exhaustive searches for resources like finding a needle in a haystack because of:
- Too many resources
- Unfamiliarity with the curriculum
- Uncertainty of the value of the resources
To support students in mathematics, Cube For Teachers has compiled collections of Cubed resources from across the web. These resources are differentiated to engage our modern learners - including interactive activities and games, video tutorials, notes, practice quizzes and more.
We look forward to sharing open resources with you.